Don’t let your perfectly good used clothing sit in your closet or in storage. Make a fresh start for yourself and others when you donate your clothing to those in need!
A Few Tips for Donating Your Clothing
Clothing of all types are needed, but in order for them to be fully appreciated, please be sure your donations are clean and undamaged. It’s also helpful when they aren’t out-of-date with current styles.
Here are some other tips for donating:
- Women buy and donate clothing more often than men do, so there is a shortage of men’s clothing for those in need.
- Odd sizes or petite and tall sizes are always useful.
- Kids jeans are especially useful.
- Donations of winter coats, rain jackets or ponchos, winter boots, children’s snow pants, and thermals are needed in colder climates.
- Underwear and socks are always the most needed items. However, these items need to be new and unopened.
- Look for blankets and sleeping bags, for those living on the street, or without adequate heating in their home.
- Black shoes with rubber soles are always needed.
- When you donate purses or backpacks, you make carrying personal belongings easier, especially for those who rely on walking, biking, or public transportation.
Donating clothing and other items truly is a win-win for everyone, so don’t pass up the opportunity to make a difference!
Men’s, Women’s, and Children’s Clothing
Goodwill not only sells clothing and household items, but they have gotten 72,717 people back to work this year alone! They collect items at their stores or in bins and they even sell their goods online with the proceeds going to fund job training.
Savers supports nonprofits in your community with your donations. If you want to help even more, they will provide posters, flyers, social media ideas, and instructions on how to start your own donation drive.
Big Brother Big Sister Foundation turns your donations into cash and then uses 100% of the proceeds for mentoring underprivileged kids. You can schedule online for them to pick up your items right at your door.
The Salvation Army has a wide range of programs geared toward rehabilitating and supporting people and families in need. Clothing donations are always welcome at drop-off locations or via free pickup.
Dress For Success offers women the clothes they needs in order to go on employment interviews and for their new job.
Career Gear provides professional clothing, mentoring, and life skills to help men become stronger contributors in their families and communities.
Formal Dresses and Wedding Gowns
Brides Across America makes it possible for military brides to wear the dress of their dreams on their wedding day. Donate your wedding dress by submitting your information and they will tell you if your dress is needed.
Becca’s Closet helps girls get the perfect formal dress for their special occasion.
Purses and Backpacks
Change Purse raises funds and awareness in order to help combat sex trafficking. You can donate clean, gently used purses or, to make a bigger donation, you can set up your own collection site or hold a home party.
New Eyes brings the gift of vision to people across the globe.
Lions Clubs International collects useable glasses and frames and distributes them throughout the world.