Home to over 2 million residents, the Orlando metro area is the 3rd largest metro area in Florida. When most people think of Orlando, they typically think Mickey Mouse and Harry Potter. In contrast, there is more to this central Florida town than just world famous tourist attractions. Read on to discover everything the City Beautiful has to offer, before moving to Orlando.
Orlando has 145 public schools. Check out this list of schools ranked in order of test results and reviews from parents. Orlando is also home to the 2nd largest university in the country, The University of Central Florida. UCF offers more than 215 degree programs.
Finding a job in Orlando may not be as hard as you think. The unemployment rate in Orlando – according to a BLS study – is at 3.6%, lower than the national average. In the last year alone, Orlando’s hospitality industry created over 12,300 new jobs, with professional and business generating 11,400 new jobs.
The cost of living is slightly above the national average, but we have no state income tax, and a fairly low 6.5% sales tax rate.
With a plethora of concerts, sporting events and theme parks, there are always options for date nights and family-friendly activities.
- Orlando Magic: Orlando’s very own professional NBA team plays at the Amway Center in downtown Orlando
- Orlando Solar Bears: Support our local ECHL team- with tickets as low as $12!
- Orlando City SC: The Orlando City Soccer Club is Orlando’s professional MLS team
- UCF Knights: Tailgate at UCF’s football games and feel like you’re in college again
- The Social: A local favorite. The Social is an intimate Indie club that features local and well known eclectic bands
- Hard Rock Live: A larger venue that hosts some of the best comedians, bands, and entertainers
- Will’s Pub: Local and Indie musicians perform live in a laid-back space with pool tables and an extensive beer menu
- Amway Center: Orlando’s largest entertainment venue, also home to the Orlando Magic and Orlando Solar Bears
- The Beacham: Venue in downtown Orlando that hosts many well-known artists
- The Plaza Live: Orlando’s oldest theater, transformed into a venue for live shows with well-known bands and artists from all over the country
Orlando has no shortage of fine dining to choose from. Below we have listed a few of the top restaurants for each Orlando neighborhood:
- Prato: Rustic Italian Eatery in on beautiful Park Avenue, across the street from Rollins College
- Briarpatch Restaurant: Amazing made from scratch breakfast with outdoor seating
- Luma on Park: High-end dinner spot bringing together modern aesthetic & a seasonal American menu
- Santiago’s Bodega: This charming Spanish style tapas restaurant is known for their brunch and late night happy hour specials
- Tako Cheena: Get your late night fix of tacos, burritos & empanadas at this pan-Asian spot
- The Strand: Seasonal New American dishes paired with craft beer & wine, in a cozy space with retro accents
Restaurant Row (Dr.Phillips)
- Rocco’s Tacos and Tequila Bar: Mexican themed menu with classic dishes and over 400 varieties of tequila
- Seasons 52: With a constantly changing seasonal menu alongside international wines in an upscale ambiance
- Eddie V’s: Upscale seafood and steak menu in a romantic setting with live jazz
- Artisan’s Table: Book a table at this modern American restaurant downtown-open late!
- Stubborn Mule: With one of the best brunches downtown, come and sit on their large patio and sip on one of the best Moscow mules you’ve ever had
- The Rusty Spoon: Upscale downtown eatery that features locally sourced ingredients
Although Orlando’s traffic can be sore spot for (looking at you, I-4), the city offers several public transportation options:
- Lynx: Bus system run by the Central Florida Regional Transportation Authority, serving the greater Orlando area. A standard one-way ticket costs $2.00
- Sunrail: Orlando’s very own metro which takes routes from north to south Orlando. One-way tickets starting at $2.00
Moving to Orlando Reminders
- Remember to get your car registered
- Apply for a Florida state driver’s license
- Stay up to date with the latest news and events by picking up Orlando Sentinel newspaper and Orlando Weekly for local events and concerts
Once you are ready to make your move, we are ready to help! Please view our Orlando storage locations.