Chances are good that many of us have used a self storage unit. Some of us are college students who have used them to store our lives in between semesters and others of us have either downsized our homes or have moved into a new area and only have temporary residence and then some of us just have more than we have room for. Whatever the reason is that we need self storage there is an outline of what we need to do when renting the unit and several tips on what to watch out for when deciding on a reputable self storage company.
- Location: make sure when you are choosing your storage unit facility that it is nearby. This will help with accessing your belongings and moving them into the unit.
- Review: when checking out different storage companies you want to review their policies and services. What are their hours of service, do they offer insurance, how do you pay and how they bill, what type of security do they offer for your belongings? All of these are important features and the more reputable a business is the more services they offer.
- Space: what do you need to store and how much space will you need? A small unit of 5’x5’ is only going to store a single bedroom or a dorm. While a larger 10’x30 will store a 3-4 bedroom house! Make sure the companies you review can supply you with the space you need.
- Climate Control: some belongings such as art and antiques should be stored in climate controlled units. Not all companies have both indoor (climate controlled) and outdoor units available.
- Contract: now that you have decided on the company you want to use, review their contract carefully! You are purchasing a service from them and should make sure that your best interests and belongings are secure. Once you have signed the contract make sure you have your information, keys, codes you need to get into your unit.
- Packing your Unit: there is an art form to packing a storage unit! More than just throwing everything in as it comes off your truck you should pack your valuables and items you will rarely need in the back. Your more regularly needed belongings should be packed in the front and remember to always pack the unit heaviest to lightest, this helps to protect your belongings from crushing or shifting.
- Space Usage: part of packing the unit is optimizing the space you have available to you. If you have shelving that you are storing, use that to help maximize your unit.
- Locking up: when you leave your unit make sure you have secured it is secured when leaving, if you provide your own lock (typical) make sure that it is well lubricated and you have the keys handy.
- Smart Loading: is the practice of knowing when something is too heavy to move without help or a dolly. Make it a good practice to use a handcart to load and unload your storage unit. This helps to protect your belongings from potential damage and helps to protect you from hurting yourself!
- Moving out: make sure when you are getting ready to empty your unit and move out of it that you let your rental company know! You want to make sure that all of your paperwork is in order with them.
If you are looking for self storage with excellent customer service and a track record of 20+ years in the business which offers a wide variety of services, then Simply Self Storage might be your one stop shop! From your initial visit to our website or phone call to one of our national self storage facilities to renting a truck and setting up local movers we have everything you need. If you are in need of Florida self storage we can help or perhaps you are a college student who attends Mercer University and you need self storage in Macon, GA we can help you too! Regardless of your needs Simply Self Storage has a solution for you, Call Now at 877.STORE.HERE (877.786.7343) for a quick consultation with our representatives now!