Spring is upon us! This means several things, warmer weather, less snow & slush and of course the yearly spring cleaning. While spring cleaning might seem a daunting task, a simple task list will have you managing your spring cleaning like a professional.
Spring cleaning is never just a simple task of sweep up the extra dirt in your drive from winter or cleaning the windows. Each year we all go through the same dance with our homes and belongings. I am still not sure how it is that I accumulate more things in winter that I have to figure out what to do with during my spring cleaning routine but there they are. I have broken my list into indoor and outdoor sections and it has really helped to manage the whole process.
- Window Treatments: we see them every day and in the spring we clean them. Spring cleaning is the perfect time to change your curtains, if you have seasonal curtains. Wash the blinds, dry clean drapery, all of these will help to clean your space and brighten up the room, which of course will help to motivate the rest of your chores!
- Bedding: if you aren’t in the habit of stripping your bed down to the bare mattress and cleaning everything already, spring cleaning is an excellent time to get this chore done. This will also give you a chance to inspect your mattress for wear & tear and flip it if needed.
- Seasonal Clothes: perhaps the one chore I dislike the most is going through clothes and pulling my winter clothes out of the closet and dresser, but it does have to be done. Since many of use plastic bins to store winter clothes, make sure it follows the “rules of clean, cool, dark, and dry” this will help to keep your clothes in good shape and ready for the next season.
- Appliances: the spring cleaning routine is an excellent chance to clean up your appliances as well. Go over your appliances and check things such as heating elements, coils, drain pans, dryer vents and clean them appropriately. This will help to reduce the dust in your home and help to increase the lifespan of your appliances.
- Garage & Siding: winter and the garage seem to hand in hand for clutter, I am not sure why either but by the end of winter I have a whole lot less space than I started out with. My garage is the first task I do outside when spring cleaning. As you clean you can decide what stays, can be recycled, sold, or stored if you use self storage. The siding generally ought to be washed in the spring, if you have a local place that you can rent a power washer or if you have one already this will greatly reduce the amount of time & work it will take. If not, a good stiff brush with a long broom handle will do the trick.
- Patio & Deck: if your deck is made out of Trex board you have little to worry about to maintain it, a quick blast with a power sprayer and maybe a quick scrub and you’re done. However, if you have regular wood decking you want to make sure it does not need a new coat of sealer or stain for the seasons. Most sealants and stains need reapplication every several years and it is a good idea to keep track of when last it was put on. Patios are generally stone or concrete so again a quick power wash, making sure anything loose or broken is repaired and this will keep your patio in tip top shape.
In both my indoor and outdoor list there is a topic I dread, clutter. As I mentioned it tends to overtake my garage a bit in the winter and I use the 4 bin method each spring and honestly I do have more that I want to keep than I want to part with. The best solution I was able to come up with was using a local self storage company to get a bit more space until I really feel I have the time to commit to either donating to the Goodwill or having a garage sale.
Simply Self Storage (SimplySS) has been providing self storage units to people across the country and Puerto Rico for better than 20 years. As the nation’s largest privately owned self storage company we specialize in hassle free renting combined with professional customer service. In addition to providing self storage solutions across the country, SimplySS also provides climate controlled units, boat, RV and automotive storage. If you are moving and need self storage in Detroit, MI or maybe you are a college student who needs self storage in Philadelphia, PA, SimplySS has a solution for you!