If you haven’t prepared adequately for your move, then it’s probably not going to go very smoothly. Don’t worry, we’ve put together a checklist of helpful tips to make sure Moving Day is as pain-free as possible.
2 Weeks Before the Move
Give yourself ample time to prepare for your move, so you’re not stressing out the day of:
- Change your address on any important mail including bills, utilities, etc.
- Make one last grocery store run to avoid throwing out food on the big day.
- Definitely begin packing if you haven’t already—it’ll take longer than you think!
- Pack with care and be sure to mark boxes with breakables as fragile.
- Label boxes while packing and be specific. Label what is inside and where they will need to go at your new place to make unpacking easy.
- Donate items you don’t want or never use to a thrift shop or charity organization.
- Arrange child or pet care for the day of your move so there is one less thing to worry about once the movers show up.
T-Minus 24 Hours
Your move is so close, you can taste it! Here’s what to check off the day before Moving Day:
- Pack an overnight bag—you’ll be too tired to try and find anything that first night.
- Put any other items you want accessible in a clear bin so you can find them right away, i.e. toilet paper, paper towels, phone chargers, power strips, trash bags, etc.
- Disassemble all furniture that needs it in order to be moved.
- Put all small parts (bolts, screws, etc.) of disassembled furniture somewhere safe, like in a plastic ziplock bag that has been securely taped to the furniture it belongs to.
- Unplug all of your large appliances so they are ready to go—think washer, dryer, and fridge, if possible.
- Put all cords in a gallon size ziplock bag (electrical, extension, etc.) so they are easy to find on the other end.
The big day has finally arrived, and it’s time to get down to business:
- Be ready! Make sure everything is packed before your movers arrive.
- Take the time to make your movers aware of any items that need special care.
- Have some light refreshments for your movers—donuts, muffins, pizza, or anything you can just grab and eat is perfect.
- Do a final walk through to make sure nothing has been left behind.
- If there’s time, clean what you can before meeting the movers at your new place.
- Try to relax—your movers are professionals and know what they are doing!
The Day After
You thought you were done, but the fun has just started:
- Don’t let yourself get overwhelmed. Just do what you can when you can.
- Start unpacking boxes room by room—it seems much less daunting that way.
- Take it easy and enjoy your new home!
By checking off all the above preparations for you move, you’ll be relaxing in your new place sooner than you ever thought possible!