As if studying for finals wasn’t enough to deal with, with the school year ending many college students find themselves having to pack up a dorm room or apartment for the summer break. You’ve got a lot to juggle already, so we’ve got some compelling reasons why self storage makes your life easier so you can enjoy your summer break more — and maybe even relax a little.
You’ve probably accumulated all kinds of items during the school year, including books and school supplies, clothes, sporting equipment, electronics — maybe even some furniture. Instead of hauling all that stuff back home, consider storing where you study this summer so it will be close to your college or university when you return in the fall.
Does summer storage make sense for me?
Self storage is a smart, cost-effective solution for college students living in residence halls, dorm rooms and short term off campus housing to safely and easily store any items that won’t be needed until school starts again next semester. It makes sense to store where you study if you:
- Are a first time student wanting to simplify your college life
- Attend school out of state and plan to go home between semesters
- Want to avoid the hassle of driving a rental truck a long distance
- Want to save your parents the worry about where to store your items at home
What size storage unit do I need?
Self storage facilities have a variety of storage unit sizes to accommodate every budget. For students, we usually recommend one of the following:
5’ x 5’ Storage Unit (25 Sq. Ft.) – This size can typically hold the contents of one room or a large closet: book shelf, bicycle, coffee table, nightstand, boxes/bins and other small items.
5’ x 10’ Storage Unit (50 Sq. Ft.) – This size can typically hold the contents of a small one-bedroom apartment: mattress, sofa, kitchen table, boxes and other similar items.
What are some things to look for when choosing a storage facility for summer storage?
- Climate controlled units, which stay at a consistent temperature range, protecting your electronics and other items from the summer heat
- Convenient, time-saving options like contactless online storage rental and autopay
- A safe, secure location
- Positive online ratings and reviews
- Availability of packing and moving supplies
- Other features like drive-up vs interior access for your storage unit
- Any special promotions or incentives available to save money
Any other advice?
As the college campus crowds thin out, storage units may start booking up in your area. We recommend thinking about storing your stuff ahead of time so you’ll have a better idea what size unit you’ll need — that way you can focus on finding the best storage unit deals before moving day approaches. It’s also useful to know that you can complete a reservation online with no deposit required, which will temporarily hold a unit for you until you complete your rental and sign your lease — which you can also do online.
Simply Self Storage offers self storage options for college students near many US campuses. We have convenient locations near Johns Hopkins University, Purdue University, The Ohio State University, Texas Southern University, University of Houston, University of Texas at Dallas, Florida Tech, University of Oklahoma, and other colleges and universities.