Self storage is a great option when you have too much stuff and you want to free up more space in your home or office. However, you also want to make sure that the furniture, equipment and things you have stored are safe and in good condition. This depends on two aspects – your choice of self storage facility, as well as how you packed and stored your things.
This article will look into how you can choose the right self storage facility and unit. Here are some of the things you should look for or ask about when you are on the lookout for a self storage unit:
– Ease of Access to the storage unit. What are the times and days you are allowed to access the storage facility? Are you allowed to access the unit anytime you want to? If you are storing a lot of equipment and furniture, it will also be helpful to check access of hauling equipment or large trucks. You wouldn’t want to haul heavy boxes up and down several flights of stairs! It is also important to check how near the storage facility is to major roads, highways and freeways.
– Security measures. Is the storage facility secure? Does it have enough security measures to prevent theft and vandalism? Are there security guards on-site? Is there security cameras placed at strategic areas? Are the units enclosed with concealing walls so that nobody can peek in and see what you have stored? What type of locks do the units use? Are there individually controlled alarms available? On a related note, you can also consider getting insurance for the things you will be putting in self storage.
– Cleanliness and maintenance. How well is the facility maintained? Is it clean? Are the self storage units in good condition?
– Pest Control. Is there a problem with vermin and other pests coming into your storage unit? You don’t want nasty surprises waiting for you the next time you return to your storage unit.
– Size of the unit. This depends on the kind and volume of things you want stored. The right storage facility should enable you to increase or decrease the space you might need without too much of a hassle. To help you determine the size of the self storage facility you need, take a look at this guide.
– Storage facility design. Are the units designed to prevent damage caused by natural calamities such as floods? Are the units water proof?
– Other amenities. What other services does the storage facility provide? Some provide moving trucks, online access to bills and payment facilities, package delivery services and moving supplies.
Before you sign any contracts, be sure that you have personally seen the facilities. Read the lease agreement with care to check whether the facility owner can arbitrarily change the rates without notice.
Choosing a Unit that is right for the things you want to store
One other important thing to think about is the suitability of the storage facility. You may want to store valuable materials that may need specialized storage units such as ones that have climate control. There may be materials that can be warped or damaged by extreme temperatures. Climate controlled storage units prevent this by ensuring that the air temperature inside the unit is consistent throughout. This will keep moisture and humidity out.
Materials that may need climate-controlled storage will include:
– Upholstered items
– Important archives of documents
Locating a Storage Facility in Your Area
It is fairly simple to look for self storage facility in your city. You simply need to go to Google or Google maps then type the name of your city and the words “self storage”. For instance, you can type in “Minneapolis Self Storage” or “Cincinnati Self Storage”. An easier option would be to visit our website (www.simplyss.com) for locations of quality self storage units.